From:
"HARRISON,REGINA,MS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 1996 09:59:23 EDT
Hi all--
Somebody (sorry, deleted that FML so I don't have the name) mentioned a
couple of days ago how easy it was to break up fighting ferrets, in part
because what looks like a fight to us is really play to them.  This is true,
but as an owner of two seriously fighting ferrets I'd like to add that when
they are really fighting, it is hazardous to reach into a fight.  I stupidly
tried to pick up one ferret out of a whirling ball of ferret fight in
February-- normally loving Amelia bit my index finger to the bone.  Her
upper canine slid between my nail and flesh at the base of the nail as well.
The resultant black spot is still growing out of my nail.  Amelia was
immediately very sorry and kissy, but it still happened.  Now if I feel
intervention in a fight is warranted and they are locked in battle, I spray
the aggressor with water to break them up before I reach in.  This isn't
meant as any sort of criticism of the first post, just a reminder that even
though they're small you can get hurt in the crossfire when the fight is
serious.

Regina (Ow)
Amelia (sorry Mom, but he started it)  Cully (why am I all wet?)