From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2006 13:09:06 -0400
Forwarded with permission.

Dear Ferret Enthusiast:

Thank you for the work that you accomplish on behalf of ferrets and
ferret owners.  Because of your active involvement with ferrets, I think
you will be interested in an exciting project involving the black-footed
ferret.  Black-footed ferrets, one of North America's most endangered
species, will be reintroduced into the wild this fall on the Lower Brule
Sioux Reservation.

The 221,646-acre Lower Brule Sioux Reservation lies on the western bank
of the Missouri River in central South Dakota.  The area has historically
been home to an abundance of wildlife.  The Lower Brule Sioux people have
also been part of this rich web of life for generations.  However, during
the last two centuries the people and the environment of the Lower Brule
Sioux Tribe have endured many hardships brought on by ill-conceived
government programs, un-kept promises, and broken treaties.  The people
of the Reservation are now negatively impacted from this greatly degraded
environment.

However, the Lower Brule Sioux Tribe Department of Wildlife, Fish and
Recreation has already begun restoring ecological balance on the
Reservation.  Through the Department's programs, several indigenous
species have been restored; these include buffalo, elk, wild turkey,
sweet grass, and numerous native trees and shrubs.

This fall the Lower Brule Sioux Tribe Department of Wildlife, Fish and
Recreation will conduct the first of several releases of black- footed
ferrets into habitat where they were extirpated over thirty years ago.
This reintroduction is a significant step that is the culmination of
much planning.  The re-establishment of a viable, self-sustaining
black-footed ferret population is expected to be a four to six year
endeavor.

Projects like the reintroduction of the black-footed ferrets help more
than just restore the balance of the ecosystem.  This work also generates
jobs, creating revenue within the reservation where poverty and high
unemployment are major social problems.

The Maka Foundation is raising the financial resources required to make
this black-footed ferret reintroduction successful.  Will you assist us
in getting the message out about this project?  Potential ways to assist
include:

- Posting a link to our website (www.makafoundation.org) on your website.

- Inserting our brochure about the ferret program (a copy can be mailed
  to your review) in your newsletter mailing.

- Including an article about this project in your newsletter.

Perhaps you have other ideas as well.  I would certainly appreciate any
advice or counsel that you have to offer.  Please contact me at
605-473-8016 or at my email address:

Thank you for considering this request.

Sincerely,

Rod Vaughn