From:
Matchbook Collector <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 07:40:35 -0800
From the Birds, Rabbits & Ferrets 'No More Homeless Pets' forum:

What many people do not know is that PETsMART, in partnership with Kaytee
(a subsidiary of Central Lawn & Garden) owns a corporation called Kaytee
Preferred Birds that actually produces, by most credible estimates, at
least 180,00 parrots a year for sale in PETsMART stores!  Combined with
the other live animal sales, including fish, reptiles and rodents,
through PETsMART stores nationwide, the corporate chain sells more
animals each year than the total number of dogs and cats adopted through
their stores to date!

This statement makes one wonder how many parrots wind up in shelters?
And are there shelters for unwanted birds?

[Moderator's note: I can't find any good evidence that PETsMART actually
OWNS Kaytee Preferred Birds, though I did find some info about their
partnership.  I could be wrong, but I read 2 years of PETsMART's annual
reports just to be on the safe side!  BIG]