From:
Cynthia Obrist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 16:12:34 -0400
I think if you're willing to take in a rescued ferret or two, you have to
accept that the first thing you're going to do, especially in the absence
of reliable vet records, is to take the new fuzzies to the Vet right
away.  You have them vaccinated, if needed, and ADV tested also.  It's
the cost of rescuing, and necessary to protect your existing fuzzies and
the new addition(s).

Isolate new fuzzies until they've been ADV tested, unless you are given
records for a recent negative ADV test on the ferret.  My vet has
investigated the two different ADV tests and contacted both companies; he
spoke to the Vet who invented the oral swab test.  My vet believes that,
done well, the oral test is as accurate as the blood test.  The oral test
only takes 20 minutes.  I saw a Vet Tech take the swabs and he was very
thorough.  I'm sure the skill involved with sample-taking is significant
in getting an accurate test.  It was very helpful to get a fast answer on
the crucial ADV test, so I could avoid exposing my existing ferrets if
the new one tested positive.  I was thrilled with the negative result on
both my new boys.

Pick up the rescue ferret(s) and go straight to the vet if you can,
particularly if you are unable to obtain Vet records on a new fuzzy.  Of
course, often, people will not reveal the absence of Vet records until
the last moment.  My recent "adoptees" came from a woman who didn't tell
me they had not been vaccinated and had never been to a Vet, UNTIL she
was physically at my house with the ferrets, even though I had asked her
twice on the phone, and once in the faxed note I sent with a map to my
house.  I asked her to get a copy of the Vet records, or have her Vet
send them directly to my Vet (and sent her my Vet's address, phone &
fax).  I had even called my Vet & told them to expect the records.

So, if you accept a rescue or "adoptee," be prepared to have them ADV
tested & brought up-to-date on vaccinations.  In my case, I told the
woman I couldn't pay her for the ferrets, but I could give them a good
home.  I knew I'd have to take them to the Vet right away, no matter
what, so I couldn't pay her for them AND do Vet bills right away.  I had
offered to take them if she was unable to sell them, after I saw her ad
to sell them for $200 run in the paper for 10 days.  She kept my number &
called me back two months later to see if I'd still take them.  That's
how Willow and Bailey came to join our business.

Willow and Bailey are quite happy.  They've put on weight, and learned
to dook and wrestle and play chase.  Cocoa has come in to his own as our
Benevolent Alpha.  Sugar and Butter are thrilled to have more play and
sleep-mates.  It's a happy family business of ferrets.  Another happy
rescue story.

Cindy O. & the snorklin' 5, passed out in their room