From:
Claire C <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 13:32:17 -0500
On Mar 9, 2007, at 3:00 AM,Sukie wrote:
>John wrote:
>>Lin,........There is no problem with that website! On the left side,
>>the clickable links for "Affidavit", "Pictures", etc., DO work, and
>>contain the pictures that you so "desperately need" to see! ...
>
>but I have to say that the clickable links also failed for me.....
>perhaps some browsers don't work as well for that site.

There is definitely a problem. The page uses some code that only works
properly with Internet Explorer.

According to the metatags, the page was made with Front Page from a
Microsoft Word document. Neither writes standards-compliant webpages.
Front Page is so notoriously bad that Microsoft has not used it for
years, and has now discontinued it altogether.

If you use any browser other than Internet Explorer (Windows version),
the pages may or may not work. I understand there are major
compatability issues even just between IE6 and IE7.

www.positioniseverything.net (a web designer's site) says:
"Microsoft has seen fit to engineer their browser to deliberately
violate the standards in several critical ways. It might just be a
mis-guided attempt to "make it simple" for newbie coders, or it might
be a cynical ploy to crush the competition, but in any case it creates
huge headaches for [web designers]."

I find that a large number of ferret websites will not display properly
using, for instance, Firefox on a Mac. I haven't checked, but I think
most were made with Front Page (there is a certain look to their
templates). I very much encourage anyone making a website to use the
free validation service provided by w3.org (the web standards agency).
The validator is at http://validator.w3.org/

-Claire