From:
Sue Savage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 08:35:35 -0500
I forwarded this msg to my dad cause I thought he might know the answer
cause his job took him all over the world.  Here's what he found...

>From:    Georgette Peters <[log in to unmask]>
>Well, tonight at work, I needed to get some change for the float.  I
>grabbed some quarters and found an odd coin amongst them.  The coin is
>silver and a bit smaller than a quarter.  On one side there is a bird
>(can't tell what kind) and it is calling.  The year on the coin is 1993 and
>it says over the bird "SLAVUJ".  One the other side, is what looks like a
>ferret (though it might be a fox).  The critter is long and slim, has small
>somewhat rounded ears/nose and a fluffy tail.  Along the bottom there is a
>heraldic shield with laurel-type leaves on the left and wheat sheafs on
>the right.  In the middle, overlapping the weasel is the number 1 and
>underneath the word "KUNA".  Across the top it says "REPUBLIKA HRVATSKA".
>
>Can anyone tell me where this coin is actually from and is the animal on
>it a ferret-type critter or a fox??

The "Republika Hvratska" is Croatia.  The unit of currency is the "Kuna"
which means marten.  The name comes from the fact that marten pelts were
used as curency in the Middle Ages or before.

Since 'kuna' menas 'marten', I would assume thats the animal on the coin.

Sue