From:
Michelle Echols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 May 2011 09:56:23 -0400
After my mate and I, along with 17 hospice ferrets made the move from
Washington state to Arizona, avoiding California. Once there, we
realized that it was not for us. So 7 months later, packed up, but
given it was late February, did not want to do the Utah route, hence
no option but to go thru CA.

My husband was in no shape to ride shotgun, flew him 'home', and flew
my best buddy down, she also has rescue weasels. tough lady, tats,
drives muscle cars, was a bartender.... You get the pix. (yep Lori, am
talking bout you)

My sis checked on the ca /az checkpoint, said it was closed.. It was.
We rolled into CA, headed north, stopped at night at a pet friendly
motel at 0130, next to a strip joint, unloaded all of the carriers into
a room that had obviously seen many weasels given it's condition. All
of the freed ferts dove into the box springs (having holes in the
bottoms from other 'guests'.)

In the morning there were 'cat' carriers' being loaded in other cars by
other humans looking tense while covering them up.

We hauled for the Oregon border, with my not so hard as nails co-poilot
begging me to stop. Seems she took umbrage, being in a subaru going 75
miles per hour, in the dark, surrounded by huge rigs in front, beside
and behind us, n snow blowing sideways thru the mountains.

Fear of having the ferts taken was a great motivator, as I snarled at
my buddy " suck it up, get a grip, I'm not stopping til we hit Oregon!"

No checkpoint coming out of CA!.

I agree with the post that says assume that they are manned unless you
have confirmation that they aren't!

Our ferrets are our babies, and surrendering them, not an option.

Hugs n weasel dooks, Michelle, Willie, n the gang of 6. Missing too
many to count.