From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 12:07:51 -0800
(MC's post for reference:)
>However, there are reasons *to* sell MF ferrets. Of all the commercial
>breeders, MF ferrets have 1. The greatest color varieties, and more
>importantly, 2. have the most even disposition. Path and Triple F kits
>are very aggressive and take a bit more work to bite train. From a pet
>store point of view, this is important...

Hi all, just to reinforce MC's point below, because of where I live, there
are no ferret shelters anywhere -- i've had to get all 4 of my babies from
pet stores.  My eldest 3 girls (age 5, 4, and 3) are all Marshall's ferts
and they all have the best dispositions and are the healthiest ferrets I've
seen -- with no cancer/adrenal/sicknesses at all to date.  None of them
bite, they love people and all use the litterbox too.  I have friends here
who also own MF ferts and are reporting the same experience so far, as well.

However, my youngest, a FFF Farms ferret who is turning 2 this month, was
left in the pet store the longest because she was a biter who drew blood.
Because of my extreme love of ferrets and strong patience,I immediately
bought her and trained her daily for months on end not to bite (and today,
she doesn't bite at all).  However, she is also the sickliest so far --
in her two short years, she has grown to be only 1 pound, she's had the
flu, an eye infection, & now,adrenal cancer.

If you live in a city or state where a ferret shelter has many ferts
needing adoption, I highly encourage that.  But for those of us who don't,
pet stores are where we get our babies and in my experience, the Marshall's
ferrets by far have been the ones with the best dispositions and are the
healthiest.  I know this may not be true for everyone, but it's what my
friends, family and I have all experienced so far.

Jen & her furry foursome