From:
Dayna Frazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 1996 05:22:45 EDT
 Hi Everybody..

I got to thinking about all the many 'exchanges' that get going on the list
so often..  How ferret folks get so wound up about so many things.  How the
discussions continue on and on and people get downright fanatical about the
smallest things where fuzzys are involved..

I realised I have never read or heard such intense exchanges coming out of
dog owners, or cat owners, or bird fanciers, or rat keepers, or any other
pet at all.  People who keep other pets don't seem to declare 'war' on each
other over what kind of litter to use in the cat box.  They don't start
hurling insults over what to use in the bottom of the bird cage.  No one is
reduced to tears by another touting one dog food over another.  And not one
other type of pet owner has personally dedicated their lives to the study of
their pets waste!

So I think this Ferrititis is a pretty serious thing.  And there doesn't
appear to be any cure.  It just gets worse the longer a person owns a
ferret.  When you add in the effect of ferret math you often get a person
who is downright fanatical about their little pets.

I don't believe one person on this list is really vindictive, mean, without
any manners, naturally rude, thoughtless, or considers themselves superior
to the others.  I think all the vehemence and strong emotions abut anything
ferret is due directly to the intense emotions these little fur kids bring
out in all of us.  I have never, ever, seen or heard of any other pets owner
plead love an patience to another owner, while the one is teary and dripping
blood all over from being repeatedly bitten by their pet.  Only ferret
owners cheerfully tear apart and reassemble their whole lives to accommodate
their resident critter.

Now when I read a post that is very emphatic, or exhorts others, or is
outraged, or is angry..  I see a profound expression of love for fuzzys
instead of anything negative.  Instead of getting aggravated I understand
how such dedication to a ferret can cause a best friend to sound judgmental
and arrogant.

People with Ferretitis aren't chronically outrageous to each other, they are
just showing everyone their incredibly deep love for their ferrets.

No one, least of all me, means to imply they love their fuzzys more than
anyone else loves theirs.

So, anyhow.... that's this great new insight I have just acquired for
myself.  And I'll bet most of you are amused because it's old news to you.
That's OK..  I think it just proves how extra special ferrets are and how
dedicated and caring ferret owners are too!

Now that I think about it...

I feel a fuzzy attack coming on...   'Here fuzzy, fuzzy, fuzzy.............'

 TTYL                     dayna and the Woozles

 "Resident of... Marvelous Menagerie Of Mirthful Mayhem"
 dayna frazier  102046,3162  23-Sep-1996  02:25:45 PST

[Moderator's note: Well, certainly most ferret owners interested enough to
be on this list are indeed dedicated and caring.  And I *do* think ferret
owners are often a special breed.  But I check out other animal-related
lists too now and then - I'm pleased to report there is much love and
dedication in the canine, feline, equine, herp, rodent, avian, etc. circles
too.  Not to mention plants!  BIG]