From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 06:59:55 -0400
Bob
Thanks for the fascinating post on the various polecat species.

A question: What are the criteria for deciding if two animals are the
same species, separate species or sub-species?

I remember in the good old days when the major criterion was the ability
to reproduce fertile offspring, but that seemed to combine too many
species together.  I know with the advent of DNA technology, that has
become a major tool.

I imagine that researchers from different fields of study may have
different criteria, genetic, behavioral, etc.

Can you clarify this for us?

Linda