From:
Andrea Mercado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 12:40:40 -0500
For anyone that has any reservations/doubts/questions/whatever about
fostering a fert, here's a positive experience.

My birthday was in October, and I had a hankering for a third fert.  Corey
and I decided that the best way to add to our business was to foster a
ferret.  That way, the kids get a new pal, we get our fuzz fix, and the
shelter gets a helping hand.

So, we asked Anne Ryan about taking in a foster child from Fuzztek.  Now
mind you, it's a big responsibility to foster a fert, as Anne reminded us.
Basically, you make sure it's loved and cared for and happy, and taking
it's meds if necessary, for the rest of it's fuzzy days.  It's almost like
adopting, but you get extra Karma points.  :o)

Not all fosters are sick, though the ones that are do need extra love and
attention.  Some are just older, like our little Tiki.  So, even if you
don't feel qualified to foster a sick fert, you can always foster in a
lovely senior citizen, or a middle-aged ferret with spunk.  They're also
ideal if your looking for a more-lap-less-play kinda fert.  And they're
totally just as loveable as kits.  See, the benefits go past just free vet
visits!

So, we signed a foster agreement.  This is to ensure that we understand the
fuzzy's needs, and that if she should become too ill for us to care for
her, she would go back to the shelter.  And, the shelter takes care of vet
bills, all else is up to us in the responsibility department.

Home came our foster kid.  Tiki is 4.5 years old, and she came into the
shelter in not-too-great shape.  Her old owner was feeding her Deli Cat,
and as a result two of her canines had to be pulled.  She's a bit thin and
her muscle tone and coat could use some help.  But all in all, she's
darling, a bit under the weather at the moment, but darling all the same.
And she's just as much a member of our family as our other two babies.

Accumulating Karma points and having fuzzy fun,

Andrea
:o)  Gabriel  **jump, jump, jump at the cat dancer**
:o)  Lucy Furr  "Diplomacy is my business, Mommy's computer is my dream."
:o)  Tiki  "I'm a foster child extraordinaire."

Andrea Mercado - Web Developer
T3 Media, Inc.
285 W. B'way, NYC
vox: 212.334.0944 ext 256