Date:
Thu, 15 May 1997 14:54:04 -0400
Hi..

Some of you may have remembered my sweet sick MF sprite named Roxie I posted
about her last month.

Let me give everyone a recap about roxie.  I adopted roxie and her cage mate
Jake from The Ferret Gallery in December.  The guestimate was she was 3 he
was 2.5 both were MF ferrets.  The original owners were negligence and only
gave the very basic vet care.  Jake has adrenal cancer for most his life
till the ferret gallery rescued them.  roxie was too thin and sickly
herself.

They both recovered but roxie is still to this day a little too thin and
built like the stereotypical MF ferret too long and greyhound looking.

Anyway almost two months ago roxie started acting odd after getting her
annual distemper shot.  She was active and loved to play but when she ran
she would have intermittent episodes of losing control of her back legs and
falling to her side.  That build up to doing it no matter if she walked or
ran.  She then stopped eating and pooping.

We called Cheryl from the ferret gallery frantic.  She said till the morn
when we could take her to the vet feed roxie a mix of one part pancake syrup
and one part warm water.  This helped slightly and kept her from
dehydrating.

The vet thought at first insulinoma (sp?) but her blood tests came back in
the border line mark.  The vet said she had ear mites and swelling in one
leg.  She though roxie just might be feeling "icky" and would be ok in a few
days.

Weeks went by and roxie even put weight on.  Then one day my mother was
holding roxie for a long time(roxie IS NOT a lap ferret).  Roxie then
started drooling and I panicked.  I called Cheryl.  Cheryl took her to the
shelter and said she;d take her to the vet(where Cheryl takes her ferts).
Cheryl said she witnessed two more seizures one with now head twitching.  So
now roxie was having a seizure with head twitching drooling and losing
control of her back legs.  She is back to refusing to eat and Cheryl(who is
also a vet asst.) gave her duck soup which she tolerated.

Off to the vet she went.  Everyone thought to this point she had insulinoma.
Well she had the blood work up and roxies levels were well within normal
range.  BUT at the ferret gallery she took another seizure.  Cheryl gave her
some Pred and that helped her.

The vet is stumped she hasn't seen this before.  Could it be epilepsy or
even some kind of neurological illness or damage we never caught on to
before?

HELP Roxie is still with Cheryl and its be two weeks.  No one knows whats
wrong with her.

Maggie