From:
Lynn Mcintosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 1997 18:14:59 -0800
>From:    "Cher R. Clarke" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: water and rut
>Regarding Rut:
>I have a whole male; didn't want one, but that's how he is (rescue).  He's
>2 years old.  You know, I'd always heard how agressive and smelly hobs are,
>but he's a big, sweet teddy bear.

Oh Cher.  I fear you're going to be buried in a rut of responses! :\p\
He's big and sweet now alright, BUT...

>He's only been here a week, though, so we haven't seen "rut." What is it
>exactly?  I know it's when the male is "in season" or "in the mood."  But
>what triggers it, and how often does it occur?  Is it messy?    ...
>And if we opt against the procedure, when and what should I expect from Rut?
>How will I know?  Will he need to be housed separately from the two males
>and five females (all de-sexed by MF)?  Will he "come out of it" on his own,
>or does he have to have a jill?  If his "season" coincides with Cat's
>"season," will they affect each other?

"Cat" will meow at the door.  "Rut" will make you wish your house didn't
have any doors, just fresh air flowing in.  Hormones trigger Rut, and,
sometimes, spring (though can occur other times).  You'll have to ask a real
breeder, but I'm quite sure Rut will appear whether or not a whole-lady jill
is around.  About the time the first crocus of spring peeks it's yellow head
through the dirt (you'll be lucky if Rut waits that long!) Rut may emerge...
and He lasts and lasts and lasts.... can be months.  I never thought I'd
really gag over a ferret smell (poofing pales in comparison!), but our
Tarzee smelled like rotting lamb.  There was "rutting glue" all over the
furniture legs, and our shoes - he dragged his ring ding everywhere.  His
knoogies grew greatly, even impressively, into great huge hairy knobs.
Fortunately, like some hobs in rut, he didn't drink his urine, but he was an
absolute pest, mating with everyone he came across (trying, that is)....
and, being the sociable KAHUNA GAHUNA he is, he was miserable...

>I can get him neutered in two weeks.  But does he "need" that?

The pro aspect was that Tarzan was like a big, warm fuzzy rug, always ready
to cuddle and hug (still is, but better smelling).  Con aspect: He smelled
like rotting lamb, and, as I said, he was miserable.  Seriously, there are
not pros to keeping a hob whole beyond breeding purposes (well, unless maybe
you ask the hob what he thinks about neutering).  There is always a small
risk with any surgery, but with a ferret-experienced vet neutering is
usually quite safe (my male was neutered with an incision, not by removing
the testicles from the sack, which seems much simpler).

>From:    Juliana Quadrozzi - GA Domestic Ferret Association
>Subject: Any independent film makers or network people out there?
>
>isn't there anyone out there who has a connection w/an independent film
>maker or network like Turner, Animal Planet, TLC, or Discovery?  There has
>to be a person owned by a ferret out there who has some kind of a
>connection!

GREAT IDEA Juliana!

Fuzzy Hugs,  Lynn Mc.