From:
"Charles Weiss D.V.M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Feb 1995 17:59:07 -0500
Just a quick note about declawing.  I believe its inhumane in ferrets.  For
cat's that can't be trained out of the behavior (scratching post, water gun,
sticky tape on cardboard over surface, etc.) there is a surgery that is much
less painful the the declaw called the tendonectomy.  In this procedure we
make a tiny incision on the underside of each toe and cut the tendon that
allows the cat to pull out his/her claws.  This is much less painful then
amputating the last digit of their toes.  Long term, as long as you cut their
nails every 3-4 months the do very well and can't scratch.  This procedure
has been used for the last 15 years, and some vets are unformailar with it.
 (They are starting to teach it in the vet schools)  If you or your vet have
any questions about it call me.
Sorry I strayed a bit from our favorite topic!
Dr. Weiss