From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 1996 17:39:29 -0400
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Donna Ann Peet <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: insulinoma question
>Hi all.  My 4+ year old female ferret was diagnosed with insulinoma.  I have
>read that diazoxide (proglycem) is a great insulin-blocking agent.  However,
>I have no info on side effects.  This drug is not cheap...

I routinely do not see any side effects with Proglycem. I usually start the
ferrets on liquid prednisone. They respond well and the drug is relatively
cheaper.

>From:    "HARRISON,REGINA,MS" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: sick ferret
>Well, after a year and a half of ferret ownership, I'm facing my first sick
>ferret.  On Thursday afternoon, Amelia threw up liquid a couple of times.

Also include gastroenteritis or blockage as a possibility. If the ferret is
not responding,  nursing care is needed.

WHOOPS! Just read your kid already had surgery. Sorry I got behind in e-mail.

>From:    Terrance Cross <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Mastitis
>1.  What is Mastitis?
>2.  It's possible causes.
>3.  Treatment

Mastitis is the inflammation of the mammary glands.  It is usually a
bacterial infection and treatment is antibiotics and warm compresses.  The
bacteria gain entrance to the gland through the teat.

>From:    Brad Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Advantage once-a-month topical flea treatment

Unlike the Program once-a-month oral liquid flea control for cats, I have no
information on Advantage (by Bayer) on ferrets.  The active ingredient is
imidacloprid which should be non-toxic to mammals but it is tough to tell
from the labeling.  Advantage is EPA approved and there is no legal
requirement for a lot of the type of studies that a FDA drug needs.  I would
hold off for now.  I ll try to dig up some info for the FML in general.

>Date:    Mon, 13 May 1996 22:31:02 -0400
>From:    Eric Marske <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: I Need Some Help

Think hyper adrenal disease. Check out the FAQ on adrenal disease.

>From:    Ronnie DiComo and Possum Prints <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: *ENLARGED SPLEEN Q's*/PawPaw
>*To vets &/or anyone who has dealt with an ENLARGED SPLEEN*
>I would greatly appreciate input: Cinderella has had a blood test, showing
>normal blood sugar level (120).  Complete results of blood test due soon.

I copied the following from a talk I gave.  Sorry, I do not have any
holistic alternatives.

Splenomegaly
An enlarged spleen is a common finding on physical examination.  Most cases
are benign in nature.  Palpation usually reveals a spleen that is large but
with smooth borders and no nodules.  The etiology of the enlargement is
unknown.  Dr. Bruce Williams feels that a lot of splenomegaly may be a
response to a chronic gastritis due to Heliobacter spp.  infections.
Occasionally (around 5% ?) the tumor may be malignant, with lymphosarcoma
being the most common neoplasia.  Most of these tumors palpate with nodules
or lumpy-bumpy capsules.

treatment
Smooth spleen borders:
- Mild to moderate splenomegaly where the ferret is not acting abnormal - no
  treatment is needed.
- Mild to moderate splenomegaly where the ferret is acting abnormal (i.e.,
  anorexic) - consider splenectomy but rule-out other causes of the
  abnormality first.
- Severe splenomegaly where the ferret is not acting abnormal - this is a
  judgment call. The spleens may rupture and be an acute cause of death. The
  large amount of displacement by the spleen in the abdominal cavity may in
  the future lead to anorexia, etc. I usually recommend removing them.
- Severe splenomegaly where ferret is acting abnormal (i.e., anorexic) -
  remove spleen and biopsy.

Spleens with rough borders or nodules:
  Consider a work-up including thoracic radiographs and fine needle aspirate
  of spleen. Splenectomy with biopsy recommended if no metastasis is noted.

surgery description
The surgery is as described for cats and dogs. Expect a large midline
incision (3 - 4 inches). Carefully ligate all spleen arteries and veins.
Closure is normal.

Pre-op therapy consists of 20 - 30 ml of LRS SQ and antibiotics.

Post-op therapy consists of 10 ml LRS SQ immediately after surgery and then
10 ml LRS QID SQ.  Put the pet in an incubator until full recovery.  I send
home on antibiotics but this is optional.

>From:    Denis & Edith Dubois <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ongoing adrenal gland problems

I would recommend the Univ. of Tennessee ferret adrenal panel to confirm the
diagnosis. If it is hyper adrenal disease, a possible medical option is the
use of mitotane (Lysodren).

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH.