From:
Debbie Saunders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2006 05:59:39 -0400
I'd like to toss another area into the hat for the next symposium for
consideration.  How about Roanoke Virginia?  We have a growing number of
ferret enthusiasts coming out of the woodwork joining our local club and
the shelter here has been helping wayward ferrets find forever homes for
almost two years now.  We've been helping area SPCA's and Animal Control
facilities from surrounding municipalities with owner surrendered and
dumped ferrets from a 400 mile radius around us, so we know there are
other ferret owners out there that, with a little more getting the word
out could make a large gathering.  We have a regional airport, tons of
hotels & motels, plenty of shopping for those so inclined, just about
every imaginable restaurant has at least one site here, plenty of local
historical landmarks to visit, and the natural beauty of the area is
breathtaking.  We are one of the best "rural" cities I've ever visited.
Plus we are very close to VA Tech, which has one of the best Veterinarian
programs in the east, and our shelter Veterinarian, Dr. Mark Finkler,
teaches ferret husbandry classes at Tech & has his practice here.

For those that like to drive, we are in the middle of just about every
thing.  I-81 comes right thru here as does several other routes.  Gas
prices just hit a new low for us as of late... $2.07 for regular.

The summer months can be a tad bit hot & humid, the spring & fall months
are much more pleasant and for the most part the winters are mild.
September is very comfortable and you can see the trees still wearing
their green leaves with just a hint of color change.

Please consider the area for hosting a symposium.  There's nothing like
Southern Hospitality!  Not only is Virginia for lovers... Virginia is
for FERRET LOVERS!

Debbie Saunders
Shelter Director & Foster Mom
Big Lick Ferret Shelter & Hospice