From:
Becki Kain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 1996 16:14:44 -0400
>From:    Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Tieke
>Becky - the drooling and dazed state is probably due to the insulinoma.
>However, the nausea may well be the result of the chronic kidney disease.

Yes, that is what Dr. Schiff stated as well.  With the pushing of 15-20cc's
of pedialyte through him per day, his kidneys, according to the blood work,
are doing better.

>You're definitely in a bit of the bind.  Prednisone which is used to raise
>blood glucose in insulinoma patients increases wear and tear on the failing
>kidneys.  If the kidneys are really shot, then you can't do the surgery, and
>have to administer the pred.  I'm not sure about the Winstrol to treat renal
>failure - is Tieke anemic?
>My first thought would be surgery if Tieke is a surgical risk to try and
>remove the insulinoma.  It may buy some extra time.....

Dr. Schiff and I both agree that surgery would be pointless at this time
since he was just in there and the tumors in the pancreas were not large
enough to be seen.  Removing the right adrenal, IMHO, wouldn't solve enough
as it would cause stress.  Tieke is anemic.  This has been going on (or
getting worse) for two years now, and he has just now started getting really
bad.

I was really hoping that someone had something else to try.  Thank you, Dr.
Williams, for your advice.  If you, or any of the other vets want his blood
work-up, please let me know.

I've never had the make the decision on euthenasia before ...

beckers