From:
Roger Vaughn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 00:31:04 -0500
Lona and Blossom....

The point I think you two are missing is that Valerie did not give up her
ferrets on impulse.  She didn't do it because she was tired of them, or
couldn't handle them, etc.  If she had, I would be the first to agree
with you both.  She's not a flighty owner, however.

She gave them up because - and only because - she was going into the Air
Force and would not be at home to care for them anymore.  The Air Force
unexpectedly refused her and, surprise!, she's going to be at home after
all.  It's not a case of missing them, or of last minute regrets - it's a
case of a major life change that didn't happen after all through no fault
of hers.

In this circumstance, I *still* maintain that she is well within her
rights to explain her situation to the new owners and ask if they would
consider returning the ferrets.  She only just adopted them out a very
few days ago.  She can't demand their return, certainly not, but she can
ask.  The new owners are also well within their rights to say "no".....
or even "yes".

Also, she didn't drop them off at a shelter, but placed them with a home
herself.

As it happens, Valerie simply asked the FML what to do about Buckie,
who is having a hard time adjusting to his new home.  She didn't ask
us whether she could get them all back.  I have been the only person
(openly) promoting that.  Please don't blame her for MY words.

[sigh] I don't even know why I'm still arguing her case.  She is free to
do as she pleases and nothing any of us say here for or against changes
that basic truth.

roger & the wolverine wannabees
missing bear