From:
KiSta Ferret Rescue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 02:44:54 -0400
Hi,
This is my first post, Im sorry it has to be a very sad one.  This evening,
around 1:30 a.m., we lost Cubby, a very sweet ferret who came to us on April
7th.  He was surrendered with his 2 brothers, after their owners realized
they were all ill.  He was very bloated, and lethargic.  I took him to our
vet, who diagnosed a swollen spleen, and started him on antibiotics.  He
didn't respond, and his condition worsened.  I took him back to our vet, Dr.
Levinson at Barnegat Animal Clinic, and we switched the antibiotic, as well
as giving him B Vitamins to stimulate his appetite & fluids.  At the
beginning of the week, Cubby refused to eat or drink on his own.  I hand fed
him, and took him back to the Dr. last night for more fluids.  Today he was
very pale in color, and very unresponsive.  I held him for hours, and I feel
so sad, I barely had a chance to know him, and now he is gone.  I feel he
came to me, and I tried to do the best I could for him, but in his eyes I
wonder...I took him from his brothers, gave him injections, medicated
him...I never got to show him love like I do in the "normal" ways.  In some
ways this is harder than losing a pet you shared so many happy times with.
I only got to share the bad with Cubby, and Im heartbroken over his passing.
He deserved so much more.  For some good news though, his brothers Sebastian
& Mayonnaise are doing much better.  Mayonnaise has started Lysodren for his
adrenal gland, and hopefully he will start growing some hair soon.
Sebastian has a slightly enlarged spleen, but with good diet and serious
monitoring, Im hoping for the best.  He is in good spirits, playful and
alert, and both are doing much better since we took care of their nasty flea
infestation.

Thanks for letting me spill my guts here.  I really enjoy the mailing list,
its so informative.

                        Sincerely,
                        Kim Rushing
                        KiSta Ferret Rescue

Interested in adopting a new family member?  Contact KiSta Ferret Rescue at
609-978-8588 to begin the adoption process of your new ferret  Check out
our website at http://www.exit109.com/~kistaferret.