From:
Troy Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 1995 09:57:00 CST
Just catching up on the issues:

Laura and Mac - Insulinomas can cause the clawing at the mouth symptom
and also a wobbly gate, lethargy, staring into space, etc.  A quick fix
is about 3 cc's of Karo syrup or honey dripped into the mouth or rubbed
on the gums (if not able to swallow).  This takes from 15-30 minutes
(my experience is closer to 15).  I've also used sweetened condensed
milk mixed with regular milk or Vet-a-lac, which mine seem to take
easier and actually enjoy.  I control one ferret by diet only -
providing her with extra protein and making sure she eats several times
a day.  Many attacks are early in the morning after they've slept all
night and not replenished the diminishing blood sugar.  Our brain needs
this to survive and when it doesn't get the proper amount we begin to
see the symptoms.  Medication is available in cases where diet does
not bring relief (Proglycem and Prelone).  Be aware that some other
illnesses can also cause the clawing reaction but in my views a blood
glucose test taken every 2 weeks for 2 months that shows a low count
would indicate insulinoma.

Rob - The McDowells are still in Kansas.  They have lost their home
and Mike is working construction (no longer law enforcement).  I
talk with Rita frequently.  They do not have ferrets at this time because
the small 2 bedroom trailer this family of 4 lives in is not suitable and
the landlady told them no.  We are still trying to get someone to listen.

Kari -  The horse vs ferret rabies issue has been tried time and time
again.  According to our own KDHE horses are more expensive than ferrets
and that is why they are not killed and tested.  Hmmm....  Since when
is dollar amount more important than a life in the public health field.

Peter and others - my sincere condolences to your losses.  If you need
to talk I'm available in the evenings at home after 7 p.m. (913) 494-8415
or by e-mail at [log in to unmask]  I'll be happy to send a
condolence packet to all who have suffered a loss - just e-mail your
snail mail address to me.  My tears are for you and yours too.

Gale - Wild ferrets?  Please tell me more.  ARe these ferrets in
residential areas?  Are they emanciated?  Sounds like you have a
dumping problem in your area which is illegal.

European studies - These studies are accepted for dogs and are mentioned
in the Natural History of Rabies by George Baer but no reference is made
to the ferret studies.  This is an age old fight but we must continue it
no matter how long it takes.  Our ferrets lives depend upon us.

Totally Ferret - The number is 1-800-843-1738 and their address is
Performance Foods, Inc, 190 Old Salem Road, Dayton, Ohio  45415.

Uninary Problem - Marley "marks" everything.  He is perfectly healthy
but chooses to show his "manliness" in this way.  He also marks people
but thankfully he uses his scent glands on his head area and rubs us.
His is not a problem just the way he is.

Hugs to all!  tle