From:
Pamela Paasche' O'Hearn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 1997 19:16:06 -0400
I have a few jumbled questions and comments that have been brewing since
Kodo has been entangled in his predicament.

1.  Has anyone looked into whether or not Kodo can be tested to see if his
titer is up to par?  They do it for humans, and I believe it is possible for
animals too, just not done due to cost.

2.  More info on the otter bite.  Part of the problem with legalizing
ferrets was that they had not been thoroughly tested to prove the efficacy
of the rabies vaccine.  To date ImRab is the only one that has done the
testing, as it takes a lot of animals to test.  What I'm trying to get
across is that there is no way that the rabies vaccine has been tested and
proven effective in an endangered species of wild animal.  Therefore I don't
see how they can use the same regulations to condemn Kodo and absolve that
Otter.

3.  Is the rabies kill policy: policy, regulation, or legislation?  It can
make a difference on how easily it can be fought, and what tactics to take.
A lawyer that is well versed in state policy should be consulted, if you
don't deal with it all the time, you may not be aware of the intricacies.  I
work with a state fish and game dept, and know that once you get out of our
circle, people do not understand how it works.

4.  What have people found on the virus shed statistics for dogs, cats, and
ferrets?  Are different standards being required?

5.  Has anyone contacted the orgainziation that put forth the information
that tore apart the california sponsered anti-ferret propaganda.  I'm not
certain who it was, but I have the information, and can look it up.

6.  Not Kodo related, but still a question.  In the discussion about
distemper vaccines, timing and brand, aren't ferrets supposed to receive
only killed virus vaccine?  For a case of distemper to be brought about due
to over vaccination, wouldn't that be a modified live virus??  I've always
used a distemper only killed virus vaccine with mine, and done ok.  I also
give the vaccine every 3 weeks.

Think that's all.  Thanks for listening to these questions.

Still pulling for Kodo.

Pam O'Hearn