From:
Jim Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2013 06:04:09 -0800
It is with a heavy heart, that we let everyone who has been following
Mocha's progress know, that this morning between 3:00-6:00 am, she left
this world. She was found when shelter mom went to give her her 6:00 am
feeding, curled up in a blanket with Ms. Bean.

For those that may not know, Mocha came to us several months ago, when
her owner couldn't figure out why she was just laying on the bottom
of her cage, couldn't afford to take her to a vet, and generally just
didn't know what to do with her. When Mocha was handed to me at my
work, I could put my fingers around her waist, and my fingers touched.
I was sure that her body was past the point of no return, and that we
would have to put her down. But, with hand feeding her every 3-4 hours,
she started making progress. She got to the point that she could walk
around, potty on her own, and seemed to be on the way to being a norm
ferret. We did notice that she was blind, whether it was from the
malnourishment or if that led to the her not eating, we never could
tell. Even though she was blind, with each passing day, and sleepless
night for shelter mom, Mocha found her way all over the house...
although she did bump into things.

Mocha never did eat on her own, but she never fought us when we had to
do her soup feedings, even if we had to wake her up at weird hours of
the day or night. After her feedings, and potty time, you could pick
her up (and clean her up) and she would just curl up on your chest and
go to sleep.

Mom is heartbroken, as Mocha had just made her goal weight of 2 lbs.

Mocha leaves us hopefully knowing that at the end, she was loved by
us and many others whom had never met her.

Jim Kennedy, Director
Ferret Rescue of Maine
A State licensed, 501c3 Non-profit shelter.
Donate to shelter ferrets by clicking
igive.com/from