From:
Debi Christy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 07:17:24 -0700
Well, folks, this one may draw some flames, but I suppose it won't be the
first time, lol.

Number one...

All households are different.  Just because you could not adequately
supervise/control/manange a toddler and a ferret in YOUR particular
household environment does NOT mean that someone else can't either.

"Household environment" is a composition of several factors that most
people don't normally pay a lot of attention to defining.  It includes
layout of the house (blueprint) which determines how easily physical
areas can be separated.

Schedules, as in who works what hours, who's in school when, including
after school tap & ballet & football practice, and nap times.

Another factor is the personalties of ALL residents.  If toddler is gently
nipped, is Dad going to go ballistic, or simply respond with "that's
enough play with fuzzy for now".

Another factor is what I call the "commitment" factor.  Once
ferret-proofing (which INCLUDES methods of restricting toddlers from
unsupervised access to ferrets!) is put in place, will it be
CONCIENTIOUSLY MAINTAINED?  Some people just CAN'T follow through with
this.  Some can.

Environment also includes the traffic in a household, which is generally
more of a problem with teenage children than it is with toddlers...
traffic is friends coming and going, doors opening and shutting without
regard to ferrets roaming.

Number two...
We're awfully quick to tell someone "no, you're wrong" without aksing for
any further information.  Most of the time we simply assume that all the
necessary information was in the original statement.  It NEVER IS.  Most
of the time the poster isn't aware that necessary information was
ommitted.  Don't assume.  You generally end up wishing you'd said nothing.
ASK for MORE, before you issue an 'ultimatum'.

Number three...
Yes, we operate a rescue and shelter.  Yes, our adoption packet states
that we do not NORMALLY adopt to households with children under age six.
Well, I guess I've never actually run across a "normal" household.  I
honestly can't recall any applicant with children under six that was
refused ONLY because of the toddler.

Debi Christy
Ferrets First Foster Home

Practical & easy training, care, & maintenance articles available at
http://www.geocities.com/ferretsfirst/