From:
Kathleen Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2008 08:27:42 -0500
ferret, we also have a ferret that behaved in a similar fashion when we
first got her. I don't know how long Misti has had Rhea, but since she
is running a shelter, I assume that the ferret has an unknown history.

Our Leela was like Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde when we first got her from
the shelter. Her previous owner (the one that dumped her at the
shelter) said she was 'aggressive.' This surprised us, as she was
seemingly very sweet and cuddly. We first noticed a problem when my
son pulled out his guitar to play. She attacked him much in the same
fashion you describe for Rhea. We have since learned that any high
pitched noise will set her off. I have heard that females can react
this way to sharp noises, as they think it is a kit in distress and
will launch into attack mode to protect the kit.

In any event, we now protect Leela from loud noises (including squeaky
toys), and she is fine. The more she got to know us, the more she
trusted us and we haven't had any problems for a very long time. She
does, however, on occasion attack male people that she doesn't know
if they try to play with her. I can only imagine that she has suffered
some abuse in her life and has trust issues. I hope your sweet Rhea has
the same positive results we have had with Leela with your patient and
loving care.

Kathleen