Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 10:01:19 EDT
I am going to chime in on the rescue/shelter debate just to give a legal
definition of both.  The Commonwealth of Virginia has legally defined
what is an "Animal Shelter" and what is a "Home-Based Rescue".

For those interested, these definitions can be found at 3.1-796.66 of
the Comprehensive Animal Law section of the Virginia Department of
Agriculture and Consumer Services.

http://www.vdacs.state.va.us/animals/pdf/animallaws.pdf

An "Animal Shelter" means a facility that is used to house or contain
animals and that is owned, operated, or maintained by a non governmental
entity including, but not limited to, a humane society, animal welfare
organization, society for the prevention of cruelty to animals, or any
other organization operating for the purpose of providing animals with
sanctuary or for finding permanent adoptive homes for animals.

A "Home Based Rescue" means any person or organization that accepts
more than six companion animals, or three companion animals and three
unweaned litters of companion animal during a calendar year for the
purpose of providing sanctuary of finding permanent adoptive homes for
companion animals and that does not maintain an animal shelter for
keeping animals, but rather houses that animals in a residential
dwelling or uses a system of housing animals in foster homes or boarding
establishments.

As defined, I am a rescue.  Home based rescue to be exact - but not a
shelter.

There is no other legal definition in the Animal laws that allow for
taking in animals without finding them new homes (aka in some states, a
"sanctuary") if you are not a shelter - which is everything but run out
of a home.  Sad to say in my state, anyone that takes in more than 6
animals per year (or 3 adults and 3 unweaned litters) without an intent
to rehome is considered a hoarder/collector by those that present
legislation to Virginia (Theresa Dockery is a big lobbyist on this), as
well as organizations such as VACA (Virginia Association of Animal
Control Officers) and VFHS (Virginia Federation of Humane Societies).  I
have heard Ms. Dockery make this exact statement in the General Assembly
building while arguing SB 260 and SB 950.  She actually considers home
based rescues as a detriment to the A/C and SPCA's out there - that we
could be helping them instead of 'taking away' business from them.

I know that there may be some cause for her to take this stance, after
all, there are some home based rescues who have caused more harm for the
animals they seek to protect than good.  Some would-be rescuers end up
becoming collectors, not out of malice, but out of a sheer desire to
help.  That desire to help can be so convincing sometimes that even when
they've reached and bypassed their limitations, they continue to 'rescue'
under the mistaken belief that they're doing something to help their
chosen animals/rescues.

Most rescues will be actively seeking to rehome in an attempt to get
their charges into a more balanced and healthy one-on-one relationship
with their new owners... something more difficult or not possible for
any length of time in a rescue or shelter situation with multiple animals
and temperaments.  I know thats my goal - an empty rescue with the
ferrets placed in their last home.

Lisa Leidig, Head Ferret
Shelter Wench in good standing
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"