From:
Bill and Michelle Echols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 23:46:36 -0700
Update on Bu (Buddha)

It's been a rough last18 hours with Bu.  He's been giving all appearances
of wanting to die.  Wouldn't drink, eat, pee or poo.  Color dusky, weight
loss, everything.  I had to make a command decision after holding him all
day, Sub Q fluids, force feeding etc.  as to whether or not to stop and
let him go.  His body said 'yes', but his eyes said 'no'.  After more
intense rehydrating, and managing to get some pedialyte and nutri-paste
in him, he perked up enough to actually eat a few pieces of Iam's Kitten
Chow soaked in warm water from my fingers!!!  YES!

Has since peed and had an almost normal looking stool (ferret people are
REALLY into their ferret's poo).  Will continue my 'pep talks' to him,
and will hand feed what-ever he'll take through the night.  Hopefully,
this means the Baytril has kicked in.

I have tried to see if any of our other ferts would stay with him, for
comfort.  Only Harmony, and she was too pushy for him (Last thing on his
mind is clean ears) Zorro was willing, but think it was only to steal his
food.  He is using the bed on the warming pad when he's not in my shirt.
His toes and nose have pinked up.  We are hopeful!

Thank you everyone on the Ferret mailing list who responded to my query,
and please keep good thoughts coming for this awesome little guy.  He is
worth every second I am spending with him... and more.

The 'owner' has not called back since last Thursday.  As far as I'm
concerned, she is no longer an issue.  Over my rotting corpse (and my
mate's as well), will she get him back!  She in no way deserves such a
love as Bu!

Hugs to all, Michelle, Willie and the gang of 15