Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 16:31:52 -0400
Hello All:

Nine weeks ago I posted that we were beginning experimental adrenal
treatments using a relatively new (in ferrets anyway) drug named Anipryl.
I've been making weekly posts on what we've seen so far.

NOTE: This will be the last of my posts on this barring unusual developments
in the future.  We have established to our satisfaction that Anipryl can be
effective in treating adrenal.  Our vet is interested in pursuing further
trials with other ferrets and plans to keep us informed as to their results.

Quick background
----------------
Newone is an 8 1/4year old neutered female who has had inoperable adrenal
tumors since she was 6.  Most of her hair is gone, but the use of colloidal
silver seems to have stabilized her disease.

Puck is a 6 year old albino neutered male, with intact scent glands.  He was
diagnosed with adrenal in 1995 and had the "easy" adrenal removed.  This
past Christmas he suffered a nasty bite to the neck which got severely
infected, had to be operated on, and which seemed to retrigger his adrenal.
Hair regrowth in the wounded area was very slow, and his hair began thinning
out along portions of his spine and tail in classic adrenal fashion.

which she has been using successfully in dogs.  Dosage is .5mg per day per
weasel, with the pill hidden in a raisin.  We began treatment on 2/20/98.

Results So Far
--------------
Our vet believed we would not see any results until about 1 month of
treatment.

Basically everybody is doing wonderfully.  Puck's weight is completely back
and he's active when out and about, though he seems to sleep more than he
used to (whether that's the drug or his overall age is up in the air).  He
has some slight scarring where the bites were, and there are still some
small scabs there (he keeps scratching at his neck), but he's doing great.

Newone sleeps a great deal (given her age and condition that's not
surprising) but is doing well.  She's heavier than she has ever been, and
friendly and active when out (the other day Colleen found her playing in
some plastic bags).

Side note: Newone did see our vet today about a lump we found along the wall
of her abdomen, directly under one nipple.  Dr. Roeder will be operating to
remove it on Friday.  It may or may not be malignant (we'll have it tested),
and is probably a by-product of her living with adrenal caners for the last
3 years.  We don't believe this has any connection with the Anipryl.

Summary
-------

   Puck:    Recovered.
   Newone:  Doing good.

We are very, very pleased with the results Anipryl has given us.  It does
appear to attack adrenal symptoms and partially stimulate hair growth.  What
this means to the field of ferret adrenal studies is problematical, but more
research is definitely needed.

Steven and Colleen