From:
"March, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 1996 19:48:59 -0700
About three years ago, Felix the Albino cuddle made it to the great
outdoors, in San Mateo.  I searched all over the day he got out, didn't
find him.

So the next morning, I called the local SPCA, to see if any small albino
weasels had been brought in...anonymously, of course.  In SM, as with
most places, the SPCA is under local gov't contract as "animal cops", and
hence, enforce the ban.  They act as "minions of the forces of darkness",
Fish&Game.

Anyways, someone there *had* got a call from the family that found Felix.
Once the SPCA staffer heard how gentle he was, they abandoned policy and
told the finder to feed Felix kitten food, and put up a "found ferret"
sign.  Then when *I* called, they told me to go look for that sign.

It was a block away.  I had Felix back inside of two hours.  Many thanks to
all involved, even when they knowingly broke the bad law they were paid to
enforce.

NOTE: In San Francisco, the SPCA is *totally* private.  You can go there
with your ferret on shoulder - I've done it.  They are also a "no kill"
shelter for cats and dogs, but only because the City runs an "Animal Care
and Control" division of the SFPD - AC&C *will* confiscate a ferret after
a "complaint" - which usually means a neigbor ratted on ya.

NOTE2: If the cops come around without a warrant, let them know that not
only do they need a warrant, you know that the warrant won't be valid unless
it's got the full name of the "complaining party" - a human who spotted the
weasel directly - on the warrant.  No moron snitch coward of a neigborhood
snitch will *ever* come forward in the open, so this can shut the
confiscation process down completely.  Of course, I'm 6'4", wear black
leather and cutlery, and drive the world's nastiest lookin' Harley, so that
adds a certain unstated element.  And if not - revenge is sweet.

(Bike=Buell S1 Lightning - see www.buell.com.  Also, any other biker
weasels out there?  Felix loves to hang his head out of my jacket - on
the freeway!  Don't worry, he's trained to stay in while in motion.).