Date:
Wed, 31 May 1995 09:44:00 EET
Dear Karl, regarding the following excerpts from your posting:

>The Black-footed Ferret...The name is a misnomer:  The first Europeans to
>sight it saw its resemblance to the ferret and the name stuck.  Same with
>the lesser and greater Panda:  One is type of racoon, the other a bear.
>The names are the result of similar colouring and habitat.  If you are
>having problems with bureaucratic ignorance, send the offender copies of
>the relevant dictionary and encyclopaedia articles.  If this doesn't help,
>challenge their right to their positions on the basis of inadequate
>education.  I'm very serious here.

>I want to know about real problems facing ferrets and their wild relatives,
>but I do NOT  appreciate being manipulated by long-winded,
>ill-informed, panic-mongering amateur propagandists.  Let's tone this stuff
>down and report FACTS from reliable sources.

Chill, my friend!  Though I realize some of the BFF info is emotional and
less than factual, I for one do not feel "manipulated".  It IS an emotinal
issue, but I feel the facts will trickle through, and I am happy to be
informed.  Actually, I fear you are guilty, in your emotional state, of
passing misinformation yourself.  The panda is in fact NOT a bear, or even
close.  Another misnomer. It is more closely related to the Lesser Panda and
both are cousins of the racoon. Cheers.   ---Sue