From:
Barbara Clay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2006 18:07:58 -0700
I've been gone for the past month, totally disconnected from the ferret
community, and my own shelter Rocky's.  In late July I received a call
from my family that my 86 yr old father had been admitted to the Gulfport
Mississippi Memorial Hospital.  I knew I had to be there, and I called
Rocky's Volunteer Coordinator, Laura Cutler, and just literally dumped
the care of the shelter in her lap, and caught a flight out.

The plan was for me to come back in a week.  However, when I went to the
hospital, with luggage in hand, to tell my dad goodbye, I just couldn't
leave.  So flights were cancelled.  I called Laura and told her that I
was going to be staying in Mississippi and didn't know when I'd be coming
back to Maryland.  This put a tremendous burden on Laura and all the
volunteers at Rocky's.

I never left the hospital and stayed with my father until he passed in
my arms.  It was very difficult to leave my 84 yr old mom and come back
home, but the reality was, that I had a shelter to run.  Thank God that
she's got a wonderful support group from church and her neighbors.  My
dad was the love of my mother's life for 63 years of wedded bliss.

I'm now back home and trying to catch up with everything I've missed.
For anyone that knows the pain of losing a parent, I'm sure you
understand where my head is at right now.  My shelter was maintained
round the clock with volunteers going into work late, going directly to
the shelter from work, putting off pre-school shopping trips, driving
7 hr round trips from out of state, and overall a huge personal sacrifice
to keep Rocky's shelter maintained, and give me the peace, comfort, and
privacy I needed to have with my dad.

My most sincerest thanks to these Rocky's vounteers; Laura Cutler, Mike
Cutler, Brandon and Kyle Cutler, Bob and Tammi Adams, Laura Lee and
Charles Thornton, Barb and George Hann, Michelle Butler, Lisa Jo
Schwartz, Carrie and Jaimey Vavra, Brenda Beyer, Tracey and Mike Dowell,
Claudia Johnson, Wolf Hake, Joshua Weber, Erin Brophy, Angela's mom
Norway, Barry Edwards, Anita Fabiszak, and Linda Waite.

Also, my dog and shelter mascot, Ajak, was loved and cared for by Bob and
Tammi Adams.  My Blue Front Amazon parrot was with the Cutler Family.
The volunteers cared for my two kitties.

I can never express the gratitude I feel for the precious gift they gave
me, allowing me to be right next to my dad during his last days this past
month, and then time to grieve with mom and the rest of the family.  It
truly was a precious gift.  Thank you so very much, you all will be
forever in my heart.

Volunteers are so very important, in many ways, please support your local
shelter with your time,love and compassion.

Affectionately,
Barb Clay
Dir of Shelter Affairs
Rocky's Ferret Rescue and Shelter
832C Falls Rd., Parkton, Maryland  21120
www.rockysferrets.com