From:
K HUTCHINSON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 2000 00:19:38 -0400
Hi to all that were at the Baltimore SOS show, it was a lot of fun.  If you
were there we were the silly pair dressed alike in pink shirts and bell
bottom jeans.  Our Chloe got fourth in the mitt category, we're so proud
of her.

**********
For those of you who get the Animal Planet channel try to catch "Once Upon
a Hamster" at 6 - 7am, every morning.  They have a lot of different little
animals on there and have been having a ferret a lot lately.  It's so cute!

**********
I don't remember ever seeing this link on the FML before.  They have really
cute ferret postcards...have fun.

http://www.all-yours.net/cgi-bin/dp20/sendform20.cgi

**********
Well, this could be a happy story depending on how you look at it... This
morning we noticed sweet little Chloe was limping and we couldn't figure
out why.  I decided to just watch it for a day and see if it got better.  I
put her in her cage (she's 'free range') and gave a Ferretvite treat and
decided to check her leg out again.  I noticed her right foot was pushing
back at me but she didn't seem to have any strength in her left foot and
it was kind of drawn up and just hanging there.  I got worried about maybe
sudden onset of adrenal disease or a tumor and just couldn't take the
suspense.  I called a new vet recommended to me by a friend.  The people
were so helpful and said to bring her right in, on Good Friday no less.

Got her out there and we were still not sure after a quick evaluation.
Poor Chloe was not acting herself either, she's quite active but this
morning was content to lay in my arms (or daughter's) the whole time.
Worry, worry, worry...Then the doctor thought she felt something wrong in
her leg and took her right into x-ray instead of worrying about other tests
first.  Well so many things were running through my mind, all the different
diseases and what it takes to fight 'em. I was beginning to hope it WAS
broken because at least you can be sure of that.

About 15 minutes later, the vet came back and...her tibia is broken (what a
strange relief).  Vet said Chloe's so little her bones barely show up on
the x-ray but when she put a really bright light behind the film you could
see it plain as day.  The poor baby, it's kind of funny though for those of
you who eat unusual foods, like us, they look like frog legs on the film.

Well, we had to leave her for 1/2 the day so she could get sedated and
splinted. It's so cute, the poor pooter, with her purple Easter splint.
She was so happy and herself again when we picked her up.  She was just all
over me and I couldn't keep her still.

The hard part now is keeping Chloe cooped up for 4 - 6 weeks, heartbreaker!!
She's used to being out all day and night, and I'm used to her visiting me
throughout the day.  I'm probably going to fix up a playpen for her so she
can get out some.  She just drags that leg behind her like it's nothing but
it's tearing me up.  We had to take her hammock down too but fixed her a
nice rolled-up lambswool bed she can tunnel into.  She's been in it all
evening now.  So that's it... maybe a little sad but happy it's something
that will heal quickly.

Dooky Easter and God bless all,
Keron and Chloe ("Mom can you bring me the remote and some Kay-Tee Crunch

                  Treat, hey do they make ferret crutches?")