From:
"Ronald L. Sims" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 01:30:40 -0700
Hello Everyone,

This message is for all of you who have "MidWest Cages" ferret cages, or
similar collapsable cages.  Our MidWest Cages Ferret Playpen partially
collapsed this afternoon and traped Stinky along the back, lefthand side.
She was digging at the side and was able to pull the snaps out.  Seeing an
opening, she tried to crawl through and the cage shifted again, cracking
one of her vertibrae.

Has anyone else had this happen?  I rushed her to the vet, and he took
xrays.  They showed a cracked vertibra.  He said that the spinal cord was
intact, but swelling was putting pressure on it.  She is on prednizone
(anti-inflamitory drug) injections every hour, for 24 hours.  Then a liquid,
oral prednizone for 10 days.  This will hopefully reduce the swelling and
give her movement again.  She is currently paralized from about where her
belly-button would be, to the tip of her tail.  I am wiping her off with
baby wipes after every time she goes to the bathroom, due to the fact that
she cannot lift herself up to keep herself clean.  The vet said that if the
medication does not help, there is nothing else he can do for her, have any
of you ever had this or something similar happen?  What did you do?

Please keep us all in your prayers.

P.S.
Thank-You everyone who sent me ideas on how help my biters.  They are doing
great!

Ferret Love,
Vikki, Jeremy, and the Sunshine Chew Crew
Sunshine Ferretry & Shelter