Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 10:07:41 -0800
I have been following the 'hunting with ferrets' thread with some interest.
The previous comments that the use of a ferret to hunt is illegal in the
U.S. rang patently untrue with me.  So...I contacted the Division of
Wildlife in my state (Nevada) to ascertain the legality of using ferrets to
hunt rabbits.

It took a few days to get back to me with an initial report.  Here it is:
GO FOR IT.  Don't even need a license.  Just as dogs are permitted to be
used in the hunting of birds, etc, ferrets are considered a 'tool' and, are
used to 'flush' game rather than to 'kill' game.  As such, they are not
considered a lethal weapon and are permitted with no restrictions.

The Nevada Department of Wildlife is doing further research for me and will
actually mail me the regulations covering the use of animals used for the
procurement of game.

I did tell the game law enforcement officer I spoke to what had been said
here on the FML that the U.S.  states it is illegal to use ferrets.  I was
told (By the law enforcement officer) that the U.S. does NOT set state
regulations on hunting or fishing.  They only set rules regarding National
Parks, Monuments, Scenic Areas, etc.  The Feds also set policies regarding
migratory birds when they are international migrations or when the animals
are on a protected or endangered specie list.  (Rabbits and domesticated
ferrets are not!)

I will keep everyone posted as I find out new or different information.

MC  (Joe, The rude one)
Snorkle:  What is hunting?
Garret:  I love to chase the rats when they get loose!  HAH!  I am
faster than they are!  They cannot get away.