Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1993 20:56:38 -0500
     I was so sorry to hear that Loki is sick. I have a few suggestions
about what Loki might eat. My first ferret Hun-Hun was also very ill
and did not feel like eating. The only thing I could get him to eat was
a jar of baby food sweet potatoes. I would mix in alittle of the dry
"flaked" high protein baby cereal that comes in a little box. All of this
you can find in the baby food section at the grocery store. I would
empty the jar of sweet potatoes on a plate and mix in the cereal and
heat it in the microwave for about 12 minutes just until it was
alittle warm. This isn't necessary it is just because Hun-Hun liked
it this way. You might put a little on your finger and let Loki get
a taste. Also it is very important that Loki get enough fluids so as
to not become dehydrated. You can get some plain flavored Pedialyte
at your grocery store in the baby food section, it comes in a bottle.
Give this to Loki with a eye dropper. Hun-Hun loved it. My vet also
gave me some liquid vitamins that I also mixed in the sweet potatoes
but it had a strong taste and Loki might not favor it. Hun-Hun also
would eat plain puffed wheat, it had no sugar or salt added. I think
it was produced by Malt-O-Meal and came in a plastic bag instead of
a box. I think the Pedialyte is very important so this is the first
thing I would try to get Loki to drink. Check with your vet to see
if this would interfere with the medication. I hope this helps and
I will be thinking of you and Loki.
                                         Judy and the ferrets,
                                         Teebone and Weezul