From:
Chris Stephenson and Lynn Foster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 May 1998 09:07:50 -0400
Dolores:
I saw you request for info on how to beef up a ferret and I have been using
a recipe discovered by Rick Beveridge as part of my nutritional intervention
for Ferris the insulinomic ferret - who sends his regards to all you
Americans and wishes you a good Memorial Day Weekend.  (Actually we have a
relative buried in a cemetary in Elyria, Ohio killed on September 14, 1968
in Vietnam - so I guess the Memorial Day thoughts reach up into Canada).

Here is what I am using

!/4 cup Totally Ferret - it is imperative that you get this food as it
appears to be the key to providing the nutritional "hit" that little ferret
bodies need (or as close as you can possibley get - no cheap cat food please)
1 can A/D Hill's Prescription - get from vet
1/4 to 1/2 cup water - Ferrets can be very fussy about texture and I found
Ferris prefers his soupy - you may find you ferret likes it "sticky" - you
must experiment.
1/2 teaspoon brewers yeast.

Grind up the Totally Ferret in a food processor - add can of AD, water,
brewers yeast and grind until you have a paste (just a couple of seconds
in a Cuisinart)

This makes a big bowl full so just keep it in the fridge - you will notice
as it sits in the fridge that it thickens.  I take a couple of spoonfuls and
transfer it to another bowl and add the appropriate water plus don't forget
I am using the woozle goo, Timmy's and pet tinic as my treatment is for the
insulinoma.

I am happy to report that Ferris is a lean, mean ferret machine.  This
Beveridge cocktail works very well so I would recommend you try it.  Oh, I
feed it off my finger and if Ferris is having a fussy day I trick him by
putting a little ferretone or whipping cream (not whipped) on my finger and
get him going on that then substitute the mixture and that ususally gets him
licking like crazy.

Good luck and just remember to make feeding time a good experience don't
get mad if your ferret is reluctant to eat at first and don't wear any good
clothes as they have a habit of wiping their face on your sleeve.  This can
be difficult to explain to co-workers when you show up with dried ferret
food on your torso.

Have a thoughtful and pleasant Memorial Day Weekend.

Lynn