From:
Barbara Griswold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 11:51:25 EDT
Hello

I've had 4 of my ferrets cremated and intend to have all the rest done.
It is definitely not ash that I find in the bag; it's a mixture of bone,
teeth and some ash tho' not really fine ash.  Not much there either.
When you do a cremation, it's important to make sure that they do a
single cremation and not just put your pet in with a number of others.
(yes, they will do that unless you specify.) You also will most likely
pay more money to have the single cremation done.

I remember a close friend of mine, who's father was cremated.  They
decided to "spread his ashes" and were shocked, as you were, when they
realized that it wasn't just thin ash like you see in movies or TV.
It's a combination of bone fragments, teeth and some ash.

I'm sure you were shocked and horrified and yet, this truly is the way
that it happens.  I had a problem with the cremation of my Bren girl last
fall.  I took her locally instead of the place I'd used near my vet for 3
prior cremations as she died at home.  (my vet is 2 hours away.) I cried
when I got her back...not only did they charge me triple what I'd paid
before, but they sent her home in a plastic grocery bag (full-sized!) and
a cardboard box.  My other 3 came home in tiny ziplock bags inside a
sweet little flowered tin box.

My advice would be to talk with the crematorium people.  Find out what
their policies are and how they send your babies home to you.  My heart
is saddened by your sadness.

Barb and her 6 whirling dervishes...Hope, Cher, Jake, Kate, Sam and Tess