From:
Ferretwise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 15:43:18 -0500
Hi readers!
My friend Jeanne S is a ferret friend.  She has been rescuing ferrets for
longer than I have owned them.  That's quite a while.  She has raised
money and provided medical care, surgeries , etc. for abandoned ferrets
for years -- giving them a chance at health and loving homes in NY state.
Now Jeanne needs some help too.  Jeanne is on her 3rd chemo round for
leukemia.  She also needs marrow transplant-- her doctor is looking for a
candidate who can donate stem cells, and her brother is NOT a match.  The
odds are great but I think we can help!

I am hoping in the ferret community we can help rescue one of our own-- so
she can continue to rescue ferrets! :)

The screening process which is available at local cancer centers ( RED
CROSS?) for approx $60- $100.  (typing = extensive research to actually
look at the genetic markers in the blood, to see if the markers match).

Donors need to pay this cost -- BUT - TO our advantage there is a NATIONAL
DONOR DAY Feb 14th.  Saturn dealerships across the country will pay the
screening costs iif you get screened there- please follow the link for
more information:
http://www.marrow.org/NEWS/EVENTS/DONORDAY_2002/donorday_2002.html

Should you be the match she needs her insurance will pay all the costs-
and you can have the procedures done in your local hospital.  You can
specify you are only interested in being her donor -- OR you can be
placed on a list to help others.

PLease consider helping us rescue this rescuer, the ferrets will
appreciate it.  Thanks for reading and considering the cause.

Alicia Drakiotes
shelter Mom and Jeanne's friend.