From:
Jennifer B <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:50:20 -0500
Jen, Snowball, and Sasha here... STILL in Kansas City with my fuzzies
and trying to keep my head on straight before loading up the U-Haul for
Seattle this coming Thursday.

I've been noticing some "unusual" or maybe just "different" behavior from
both of my fuzzbutts lately but moreso Snowball (the one on Prednosolone
for his insulinoma) and am seeking some insight on what the 'problem'
might be.  Something just doesn't seem right because even with the very
HOT & HUMID weather here in Missouri, they are in a climate controlled
enviornment most of the day that is kept between 74-78 degrees.  In fact,
often times I wonder if Snowy is telling me he's too COLD because he's
constantly burrowing under my sheets or under a blanket or the area rug,
even though he feels really warm to the touch.  (I took his temp. last
night when he felt warm and it was only 100.5 degrees)!

Both just had serum glucose tests done today (monday) and Sasha's was
122.5 and Snowy's was 122.7 (both had fasted about 3 hrs. prior to
tests).  Tests also revealed adequate, normal red blood cell levels in
both so the doc said it was safe to rule out adrenal problems since that
can be detected by low red blood cell levels - signs of anemia.

Both are 5 yrs. old and Snowy has been on Pred since late March of this
year, when he was diagnosed with initial stages of insulinoma, due to
consistent low glucose serum tests (ranged in mid 60's).  Snowy now gets
1mL 1xday (usually in am, after he's eaten breakfast) and doc decided NOT
to increase this dosage since today's test came out so high).  Sasha's
glucose results have always been between 100 - 120 and so I doubt there
are any issues there with her.  Even with the diagnosis, Snowy has always
remained rather alert and active, although he's also always been more of
the sleeper for longer periods thruout the day than Sasha.  Sasha is
usually vibrant, alert, only sleeps for 1-2 hrs. at a time then is up
and going for a while then back to sleep, etc...

Recently however, both fuzzies have been sleeping much longer thru out
the day (like 4-5 hrs.  at a stretch) and not nearly as active and
basically just kind of sluggish now - either they are TIRED, SICK, or
just BORED ???? .... Snowy is actually so limp sometimes that I get
scared he is not breathing and (I hate to sound so morbid) even fear
he is dead!  It's been rare in the past for him to stay stationary but
now he just stays where he's laid down and sometimes looks spacey.

Given this, I thought of some possible reasons why the sudden changes so
made some adjustments to their lifestyle including:

#1 - I enclosed cage with blanket because I could see by where I kept
     finding them thruout the apt.  that they prefer dark, quite, cool,
     cuddling spaces
#2 - Have NOT changed their diet - they like their food (WalMart Maxx
     Nutrition Kitten Food)
#3 - They don't get lots of sugary treats, esp. Snowy (very minimal)
#4 - They have adequate amounts of Nutri-Cal and Laxi-Stat throughout
     the week
#5 - Poops are fine; consistency and color are normal
#6 - Both getting & drinking adequate water

(Sasha's vuvla 'appears' to be a tad bit swollen like a tiny pea-sized
bump instead of flat at the opening but my ferret owner friend thinks
that's just carpet burn because she likes to scoot around on her belly
alot; also Sasha has been grooming Snowball much more than normal and I
could have sworn she lost a patch of hair around her neck that was NOT
due to one of the shavings she got for a recent glucose test but the doc
says that, YES, that is where they shaved her and it's just taking time
to grow back).

(Oh, and yes, Sasha STILL has that nasty ear wax problem that has spread
to the outside of her ears but it's manageable with the Derma Pet cleaner
that I do on her about once a week; tests for mites keep showing
negative, too)!

I can't think of anything else that might be "going on" in them but it's
sad to see them both so sluggish throughout the day, like they just
aren't full of life anymore.  Sure, they're "getting up there" but 5 yrs.
old is NOT that old (to me at least)!

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I might be missing????  Today
the doc suggested that when I get settled in Seattle area, it might be
helpful to look into having an ultrasound done on Snowball to see if
there are any heart problems or if there are any visible, internal signs
of insulinoma that might warrant surgery soon.

What else can I do for my fuzzies????  I can only hope that nothing
happens to them while we're on the move!  Jen, Sasha and Snowy ...
Washington or BUST!