From:
Signe Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 13:10:46 -0600
My first glimpse of ferrets was many, many years ago (won't say how many)
at a little ramshackle bait & general supply store in northern Wisconsin,
the kind of dump that sported a sign saying "John Dillinger shopped here."
I was about 8 and already in love with all kinds of animals, but my mother
was an obsessively neat housewife who wouldn't allow pets.  Anyway, I
heard little squeakings coming from the back of the store, and there
they were...a sweet mama ferret and tiny baby ferrets with their little
baby-manes.  The storekeeper, much to my mother's horror, offered me to
give me one when it got a bit older and I howled for the rest of the day
because I couldn't accept.  Many years later I babysat for my son's ferret
and knew I'd found a soulmate, so now I have 5 of my own and couldn't be
happier with them.

Signe