From:
Cynthia ritenour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2010 21:00:49 -0400
Yes, Ferrets not only have compassion, but they can have considerable
patience with another ill critter also. I have a 18 year old little cat
named Lady. Usually ferrets leave her alone since she has a habit of
swatting them and growling at them. Oliver, however, has decided it is
his job to be arthritic Kitty warmer for at least an hour a day. He
starts at her rump, laying beside her back leg. Then he slowly
schmoozes up an inch. She growls and sometimes hisses, but has not
tried to hurt him. He schmoozes up an inch every so often, to the tones
of growls, until he can rest completely along side her. He then tucks
in and they sleep peacefully together for an hour or so. This has been
going on for about a month now.I'm surprised that Lady even still
bothers to growl. My poor kitty has arthritis and has a hard time in
spring & fall when the weather changes around a lot. The meds have a
hard time keeping up. I think he senses it and tries to help. He also
checks my feet every day. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and I think he
can tell when I'm having trouble. He keeps pestering my feet when I'm
not doing well, and I have learned that he knows before me that I'm
going in for a hard time. With my last flair up, he would lay down on
my feet wrapped in the blanket I had covering them to comfort me during
the worst two days. Now that I'm doing better, he is not so interested,
but still checks my feet & ankles every day. He is not the first ferret
that I've had that could tell that I was going to have trouble. My
little Bubbles did the same thing, and would paw my feet if something
was not right. (I'm sure an inflammation sniffing ferret could be put
to use in the medical field.) I find it interesting that we only
adopted Oliver (Ollie) two months ago, and he does this every day.
Bubbles would be happy to know from her sunny little patch over the
bridge that Mommy has a new furry doctor to help out. These little
guys know more than we think, and I think that if they could speak
our language or us theirs, we would be amazed!!

Cindy and the whole herd of dooks
Flying squirrels to all....