From:
"Mary L. McCarty" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 12:20:25 -0400
Since we were mentioned in the Show Sleuth's original report, I did want to
clarify a few things.  The Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association did not
attend the Croyden show only because we were not able to have a table, as
we normally do.  By the time we had received the table order form, they had
apparently already sold all of there tables.  I admit to being disappointed
as normally the vendors from previous shows get first option for tables at
the next show.

I was not aware that there was a ban on other raffles as the PFRA does
raffle off a Ferret Fun Basket at every show.  I hope this is not the
case for the Fort Washington show - Rose, Linda?  Please let me know.

>I'll start with the end first -- I don't think much of anyone who sails
>under a false flag, hiding behind anonymity to make unkind comments about

I completely understand why someone would want to post anonymously.  I
don't believe a person could give a report like this with everyone knowing
who it was without being damaged in some way.  It would very easily become
personal as people would not take the constructive critiscism for what it
is - suggestions for improvement and an open forum for all of us to write
in with ideas on what we might like to see.

I wish Show Sleuth had been doing these reviews when Three Rivers Ferret
Club had their show in March of this year.  Our shelter was also involved
in that show and I would love to know what Show Sleuth really thought of it
(assuming they attended our show).  So consider this an open invitation,
Sleuth, our next show is May 27, 2000 in Pittsburgh, PA.

>And that is the biggest problem with the Show Sleuth's little hatchet
>jobs -- they are not fair and balanced.  They tend to dwell on his/her...

Show Sleuth clearly states that this is his/her opinion.  I'm sorry, but
I thought an opinion was your own perception of something?  If you had
attended Croydon and found it to be completely different than Show Sleuth,
I would hope that you would post your opinion based on that.

Show Sleuth's reviews were fair and balanced for the Ohio and NC shows.
However, the show report for Croydon was not as fair as the previous two.
I admit that I do agree with Sleuth on the raffle comments, but the good
things should have been mentioned, also.

>Show Sleuth conviently failed to mention that there were two ferret shows
>in different locations on the same day -- could that have been a
>contributing factor to the low attendance?  Why was a sifnificant fact...

Considering the location of both shows, I really doubt that had anything to
do with it.  Anyone who normally attends Croydon and attended MI this year
instead - feel free to let me know if I am wrong.

>he/she went about proving those "facts" true.  Something had to have been
>done right -- and yet, the Croydon organizers weren't complimented even

Croydon was not all bad as Show Sleuth did eventually comment on.  From my
past experience, Croydon has very nice trophies and their ribbons are much
nicer than they used to be.  The judges tend to be very friendly and if you
have any questions about why your ferret scored the way it did, they are
more than happy to talk to you (after the judging is over).  The show
normally ends earlier than other shows (yet still manages to have a nice
selection of specialty classes) and stays very true to their schedule.
This is a major accomplishment and something that we all wish other shows
could copy, I'm sure <g>

>If one MUST have a dress code, then good jeans and a shirt identifying the
>sanctioning factor would be...

An excellent idea - I hope more shows follow Ohio's example of identifying
shirts.  While ferret shows are fun times and we all want to be
comfortable, they are also a time to educate the public.  A good first
impression never hurts so while I don't think that we all need to go out
and invest in a good suit for the next show, it couldn't hurt to check out
how we may look to someone that we've never met before.

>If any show/club/organization wants to get ideas to improve their show or
>wants the opinion of the show goer, they should include a questionnaire
>with the show packet and a box to drop them in during the day or when
>leaving.  That would get the opinion of EVERYONE, not just one anonymous

Excellent idea - I hope this is implemented soon.  To be fair, Show Sleuth
*does* actively encourage others to post their thoughts and opinions.
Maybe others don't feel confident enough to post?  Just a thought....

I do hope that Show Sleuth keeps on giving show reports - it seems to me
that more people are commenting on shows than before and hopefully the
shows will just keep getting better.  I personally wish I would have
thought of this show review idea, but then, those who know me know I'm
not shy about giving my opinion <g>

Ferret shows are great fun, hopefully all this talk will make others who
have never attended a show want to find out what all the fuss is about.
Hope to see you all in Baltimore on the 30th!

Mary McCarty-Houser
Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association
Director, Centre County Branch
http://www.ferretrescue.com