From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 03:46:50 -0500
Okay, that makes sense.

The thing that worried me was that ferret of Mike's had the opposite of
the desired reaction, so that is of more concern than just not working.
Was it just a paradoxical reaction, or may it happen with others?  I
don't know.  Diazoxide doesn't work for all insulinoma ferrets, either,
and when it does work the degree or success is all over the place.
Personally, I suspect there may be a lot more to insulinoma than we
know or suspect in terms of the growths and their endocrinological
interactions and that those differences account for different responses.
Just a guess, though.

That is cool about your vet; has she considered doing a paper on it,
perhaps?  There is need for one.

Did anyone ever post the technical name for the herb?  If a Genus or
Genus and species is known I can do some sesarching.  I have never
been able to find that name, though there is a ginseng species known
as Devil's Claw.  In the past someone said it was not that, though.
Multiple ginseng species, including U.S.  ones are in risk of dying due
to over-harvesting, BTW, which is why some of those herbal preps are
not found any longer.  (Did you know that the first plant extinction to
be recorded historically was North African one over harvested for herbal
medication by the Ancient Romans?)

BTW, while we are on the topic: this is not as good as some texts out
there but it is dang site better than most popular herbal books and it
is free:
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/index.html
so if anyone can use that, here it is

-- Sukie (not a vet)