From:
Risa Di Vincenzo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:44:10 -0400
Hello (-:
It is good to mix a couple different foods to make up your ferrets daily
kibble diet.  This helps them to accept different tastes as "food" and is
important if a kibble later becomes unavailable or changes it's recipe.

Here are some sites so you can check out different kibbles.

This one has a large food chart:
http://www.ohioferret.org/info/nutri_prn.asp

This one has lots of info:
http://members.tripod.com/ferret_luv/
click on ferret nutrition for the explanation of ferret needs

The following is some information I've read on ferret kibble needs.
What ferrets require from their food:
Protein level of 32-38%  (recent talk sounds like even more is best)
fat content of 20-22%
(as the ferret gets older, move to the lower ends of those above scales)
Ash content no more than 7%, the lower the better
Fiber content 3% or lower, the lower the better

Ingredients are listed in order of quantity, so the first three
ingredients are the most important.  The first ingredient should always
be a meat other than fish (ideally all first three ing. are meats).
Corn is hard for ferrets to digest and should not be one of the first
three ing., ideally it won't be in the food at all.

I use a mix of Totally Ferret, 8 in 1 Ultimate (not Ultra Blend!), and
now Natural Gold.

I've also used Path Valley Farms and the Ferret Store's own brand
Superior Choice.

Dooks
Risa