Date:
Sat, 25 Apr 1998 12:10:02 -0700
Hi all, just wanted to let anyone who might have wondered, that I am finally
back on the net.  After a 2500 mile move across country and several months
without net access, I am finally back online.  Most of you probably don't
know/remember me, but taking a look at today's FML, I see a lot of familiar
names.

BIG, great job as always :)

Quick update: I am down to two ferrets (wasn't that a big change after
having a 100+ at one time!) who are doing great having their mommy back to
themselves.  Cooter, my MF gib, is getting up there in years, heading
towards his 8th birthday but still hanging in there.  Bilateral cataracts
have finally caused complete blindness, but that doesn't slow him down a
bit.  He takes longer, more frequent naps and is having a bit of a time
keeping up with his companion, Talyn.  Shortly after moving here, Cooter
and Talyn got fleas for the first time and Cooter had quite a reaction,
losing a lot of fur on his torso and developing scabs from itching.  The
fleas were easily taken care of and the scabs gone in days, but he has
never regrown his hair.  I think due to his age, his poor old body just
doesn't have the energy to regrow it right now, but it's been months and no
change.  On the good side, it hasn't gotten any worse either.  Although he
looks a bit funny with a fully furred tail and head and almost bare
mid-drift, he's still momma's boy and gives the best kisses of any ferret
in the world!  (And I'm not prejudiced a bit :) )

One thing I'd like to hear advise on from the decades of experience on this
list is whether I should continue Cooter's vaccines.  Three years ago he had
a terrible reaction to his distemper vaccine.  Since then, I always gave his
vaccines 6 months apart to try to keep reactions to a minimum as well as
giving him an injection of Benedryl pre-vaccine. So far no more reactions,
but given his age and reaction to the fleas, I'm concerned now about giving
him further vaccines.  He is not exposed to possible distemper directly, but
only through me walking outside and then in.  My thoughts are to discontinue
his vaccines, continue with Talyn's, and hope for the best.  I would be
heartbroken if he should die because of me and I know he probably won't last
much longer as it is.  He was my first ferret and I love him to pieces.
Thank you in advance to any opinions/ideas I get on this matter.

Tracy Tunnison, formerly of Mid-Michigan Ferrets, now just Tracy, Cooter
and Talyn in the great state of Washington.

PS: To any of you out there that have any of my babies, I'd love to hear
updates! :)

PS again: If there are any ferret clubs and/or people with ferrets in the
Olympia area, I'd love to hear from you.