From:
Ophelia Hardin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2009 02:42:29 -0800
Sukie,

We all know that metronidazole (Flagyl) is the specific for giardia in
humans and ferrets, and I assume it works for other nasty GI critters
as well.

While in India and then Nepal, I came down w/ giardia and/or other
nasty beasties and the local doc prescribed Tinidazole in a one-time
dose of 4 grams (if memory serves). Worked like a charm and without the
week long, repeated dosing OR the nasty side effects of metronidazole.

Just wondered if you know if this has been used in ferrets, and if so,
what the appropriate dose would be.

I think the fuzzies and I are passing something back and forth and I'd
like to eliminate it once and for all.

Of course standard hygenic practice will also apply: clean and
sterilize EVERYTHING and wash the babies in Clorox.

Okay, I wash joking about the Clorox... <grin>.

If you, Bill or anyone else has a clue I'd be most grateful.

Regards,
Ophelia and the Gang.

[Moderator's note: Since you asked me: I'm neither a vet nor a drug
expert. My understanding is the drug is quite similar to metronidazole,
both in action and side effects, although I've read at least one
opinion saying the side effects aren't as bad. BIG]