From:
Mary Segalla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2008 14:26:14 EDT
>From:    Carol Owens  <[log in to unmask]>
> ... Will raw potato hurt him?

RAW POTATO

My first ferret loved raw potato (ever try them? They're not bad). We
kept our potatoes in a small barrel that looked like a little whiskey
barrel. She was a little girl, but would claw her way up the barrel,
jump inside, and yank out a potato. Often the potato weighed more than
she did! Somehow she would get it to the top of the barrel firmly
clamped in her teeth, be sure she had it aimed over the edge, and let
it go. It would land on the floor with a thud. She would climb down out
of the barrel, and with great determination, carry the potato down to
the basement. Often she would roll it down the stairs to give her jaw a
break, and you would hear the potato go clunk.....clunk.....clunk.....
as she rolled it over the edge of each step. Once in the basement,
she would carry them (sometimes she would steal a dozen at a time)
underneath our son's bed, and line them up in perfect order. They meant
a great deal to her. Then she would chew on each one. I had to keep up
with her, because before I learned she was chewing them, she would eat
part of each one and the rest would sit there to rot and smell. She
loved potatoes, and they never hurt her....despite what they say. They
pooped out relatively intact - in little tiny, rice sized chewed up
pieces. I had another ferret who adored green pepper, we actually
bought them for her and she got a chunk as a treat every day, and
pooped them the same way. They have also eaten green beans (the potato
lover also had a thing for green beans, which we discovered when we
grew them in the garden and she would visit the garden), and pinky
carrot slices. This was all before I knew about computers and the
FML, and the dangers of veggies, but none seemed to hurt any of them.

Mary in Virginia
Happily owned by Bianka the White, Fox, Bear and Scarlet McKid

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animals.  Proverbs  12:10