From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 1996 14:33:23 +0000
Meltdown is even now raiding the food and water in the four ferrets' cage
(i.e. the healthy ones' cage) while they are playing in the back bathroom.

I ran into a neighbor who has cancer and he commented on how good today's
heat and sun felt on him, so I wondered if it might feel pleasurable to
Ruffle since she gets rather cold a lot now with her heart.  She loved it.
Then I rolled her over and let her have some on her belly.  She made her
Ruffie-complete-joy face and clasped her tiny "hands" together.  It feels so
good to find ways to make these days special.

Yesterday I used a slicker to which Warp has never been exposed.  (Remember
that we got Warp a year and half ago with parasites after she had been
through two abusive homes.) Today the slicker was in a place where she could
notice it and she did something she has not done in ages.  She jumped right
out of my arms, fully piloerected, and just cringed, literally in blind
terror for maybe 30 seconds before I could even get her to move.  Then I had
to calm her.  Finally, I put the thing on the floor so that she could decide
to investigate it and find that it was safe when she decided to and at her
own pace.  I'll probably have to repeat that quite a bit till she's okay.
From the way she acts I suspect the smell of the fabric has memories.  Poor
thing.

        Sukie