Date:
Sun, 9 May 2004 16:33:05 -0700
Jaden Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
>Let's try and raise some money for this shelter which has rescued over
>3000 ferrets in the last 4 years. Thanks everyone.  ....... Kate & Spaz

Raising money for shelters is a great and noble thing to do, but claiming
they've rescued over 3000 ferrets is NOT a good thing to do.  Such an
exaggeration tends to discredit good deeds.  WSFRS volunteers have
exaggerated their rescue numbers in the past.  I fail to understand why
they think this is necessary.

According to their web site:
"Supplies and equipment for 70+ ferrets adds up quickly, especially since
many of the Shelter's inhabitants are elderly or chronically ill. "
Their web site lists:
   39 adopted so far in 2004 (Jan-May 7)
   18 need foster homes
   33 ferrets listed for adoption
   90 Total -- then you have to subtract the ferrets who were available
at the end of 2003, which was also around 30 ferrets, leaving 60,
plus any sent into foster care in 2004.  This would account for, at the
very most, 200 ferrets a year.  A far cry from the 750 ferrets claimed.
(750 x 4 years = 3,000)

Sandi

Best Little Rabbit, Rodent & Ferret House
a non-profit animal shelter
14317 Lake City Way NE
Seattle, WA 98125
(206)365-9105
Open 6 days/week (closed Tue) or visit our on-line store at:
http://www.rabbitrodentferret.org