Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 22:49:37 EDT
I am the shoddy bearer of news from Mary of F.A.I.R. in Illinois.  She
wrote an article - The Fine Points of Ferrets- I believe.  The magazine
left out the word NOT in a critical sentence.

Sukie, please let people know what magazine this was in as I thought I
would remember the name of it-but did not.  It really could hurt the ferret
community and our ferrets??  and besmirch the name of one of the most noble
of women that I have had the privilege and honor of knowing.

Sorry I am not being the help I thought I could be.  I am way tired.
Stayed up most of the night watching the different animals come to feed on
the porch.  The red fox and skunk and opossums And the raccoons came!!!!  I
save the unwanted fert and cat kibble each day.  [one of the raccoons came
right up to the glass and stuck his face right into mine with only the
glass between us.: two nosey beings peeking at each other] Better than any
movie or play or dinner: an incredible high.

Mary and I spoke early on, and I did not take notes as I thought I would
remember.  She wrote ferrets do NOT shed, and the magazine wrote that
ferrets DO shed rabies in their saliva; which is not true.

Sukie, I know Mary spoke with you.  Did I get this right?  All I fully
understood is that Mary did not write what the magazine wrote.  The one
word NOT entirely changed a critical sentence.

Could this lead to the death of ferrets in the future to test for rabies as
they still do in many places?  Or is this just a big terrible mistake with
no repercussions for us?  [ She did call the company as they did not catch
the error, and they are going to write a retraction.]

Why do I get the feeling that I am not going to like the answer?

Lisette