From:
Michelle Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jul 2011 15:03:45 +1200
Hi there, when ferrets continue to lose weight I have often had success
using cream to get them back on track. Though lactose in milk can upset
a ferrets digestion it seems the lactose is in the watery aspect of
milk, the thicker the cream the less the lactose.

I use a 1ml syringe without the needle and dribble it into the side of
the mouth, they soon get used to it and being high in fats etc it does
help. Once used to it they will often lap it up from a bowl sitting on
my lap. (I let it come close to room temperature before giving it to
them.)

Any sign of Dairrhea and I stop, give it a day or two and try again.

Of course as always, advice of a vet to ensure it wont contra meds is
advisable in each situation.

Another product to try is the Ensure type of product often used for
elderly people unable to eat standard foods, it is like a complete meal
in a shake, here in New Zealand we can buy them quite cheaply from a
chemist. They are full of nutrients etc and easy to give.

Hope your fert gets well soon.

Cheers Michelle and Da Clan